Over the years, many well meaning people have doled out to me unsolicited, misguided platitudes along the lines of, “Oh, they grow up so fast!” and “Enjoy them while they are young.” And here’s one I love, “Breast is best!”(Not when I have a fever of 104 from Mastitis and my nipples are cracked and bleeding!)
Along those lines, here is a guideline of phrases and sentiments that you should avoid.
10. After all those years of nurturing, quality time, won’t you miss them while they are at school?
9. See you at the supermarket!
8. Oh Goody – new blood! The PTA needs someone to head up the Election Day bake sale – come to think of it, have you considered being a class parent for your child’s homeroom? Or maybe the school carnival? Book Shelver in the Library? Hall Monitor? Book Sale?
7. Don’t you just miss it when they were babies – why don’t you have another child?
6. You would be really good at selling, Amway, Jewelry, Natural Cleaning Products, Vibrators, Nu Skin… Can I talk to you about how flexible the hours are?
5. You let her take the bus to school?! Don’t you know what happens on the bus! Well, I guess it’s OK for you – I just would never feel comfortable.
4. They don’t teach enough Arts at their school – Want to start a Home-Schooling Co-Op?
3. Honey, could you pick up my dry-cleaning?
2. So, when are you going back to work?
And the number one thing to NEVER, EVER say....
1. What are you going to do with all of your free time?